RDRWA Watershed Ambassador Breakfast
Hot times in the city and everything's about to grow crazy! Join us for the July Watershed Ambassador breakfast, help congratulate the next round of award winners, and chill out with a cool presentation on Sylvan Lake's "Take It Off" program...!
Please register on or before Wednesday, July 18, 2012.
- Presenter: Susan Samson (Mayor of Sylvan Lake)
- Synopsis: Every year, pressure on recreational lakes grows due to increasing number of users and sophistication of recreational equipment. A key concern throughout the province is abandoned ice fishing huts on the lake which contribute to water pollution, boating and swimming hazards, and shoreline waste debris when the ice melts in the spring. The task of removing these huts often falls to self-appointed volunteers, but the community saw a need to address the problem in a more meaningful and sustainable way. And so, the Take it Off project was born.
- Take it Off is a thoughtfully designed, multi-pronged approach that deals with the issue through community engagement, education, and prevention. Although the ultimate goal of this project is for all users of the lake to voluntarily take ownership of its stewardship, SLMC recognizes that at times there is also a need to bolster these efforts through the use of mitigation and legislation.
- 7:50am - Welcome and Opening Remarks
- 8:00am - Susan Samson
- 8:30am - Ambassador Award Presentations
- 8:40am - Draw Prizes and Closing Remarks
Register: by calling 403-340-7379 or email info [at] rdrwa [dot] ca
Cost: $12 per person attending the event toward offsetting some of the breakfast costs.
Nominate a watershed steward today: